When using medicinally:
Completely safe, no known side effects.
- Crush a few leaves and place on an insect bite or sting. The juice helps relieve pain and itch.
- Chewing on basil leaves can relieve cold and flu symptoms. It helps break up mucus.
- Boil some leaves with water to use as a sore throat gargle.
- Helps relieve stress and depression.
- Aides in digestion, reduces gas and nausea.
Basil tea for Headache & Stress (Rosemary Gladstar)
You can use fresh or dried herbs for this tea blend
- 1 part basil leaf
- 1 part lemon balm leaf (my favorite)
- 1/4 part chamomile and/or lavender flower
Combine herbs and mix well. Use 1 tsp if dried 2 if fresh per 1 cup of boiling water. Let boiling water infuse over herbs for 10-15 minutes, then strain.
I think this goes great with a hot bath with lavender essential oil.