- 1 Cup of Suet or Lard. I use the bacon grease that I save. Click here to learn about saving bacon fat. Do not use Vegetable shortening
- 1 Cup Crunchy Peanut Butter
- 2 Cups Quick Oats
- 2 Cups Cormeal
- 1 Cup All Purpose Flour
- 1/3 Cup Sugar
- 1 Cup Bird Seed, nuts, raisins, craisins or whatever you think the birds will enjoy.
- Melt peanut butter and lard in the microwave or stove top, whichever you prefer.
- Add melted peanut butter and lard into large mixing bowl, I use my Kitchen aide mixer.
- Mix in all other ingredients.
- Spread into deep pan, I use a 11x9, a 8x8, and muffin tins. Whatever shape you want them. Or you could always mold onto pine cones, get creative!
6. Stick in freezer until solid enough to remove. About 1-2 hours or more if you forget!
7. Wrap individually and store in freezer until you are ready to use.
I usually double this recipe. It goes really fast , especially in the winter. The woodpeckers especially love this! Do you make your own suet cakes? Have a great recipe you would like to share? I would love to hear from you!